1-1 Discussion: Defining Abnormal Behavior
In this module, you will explore the concept of abnormal behavior and consider why we often think of abnormal behavior as weird, uncomfortable, and difficult to define.
For your initial post, review the definition of abnormal behavior from your textbook, Abnormal Psychology, Chapter 2, and from the video, Defining Abnormality, to answer the following questions:
- How has abnormal behavior been defined throughout history?
- In your own words, how would you define abnormal behavior?
- What are some of the ways in which abnormal behavior might be defined across different cultures?
- What are some of the factors that contribute to abnormal behavior?
- How do these contributing factors apply to any of the following programmatic themes? You may want to review the Programmatic Themes document.
- Social justice
- Emotional intelligence
- Career connections