The purpose of this assignment is to use a spreadsheet to create a visual representation of a data set.
For this assignment, you will use the “Heights” dataset. In the dataset, the heights (in mm) of n = 199 married couples are recorded. The data comes from a random sample from the much larger population of married couples. Complete each of the steps below to create a visual representation of the dataset.
Using Excel functions, calculate the following summary values for each of the three variables:
- First quartile
- Second quartile (Median)
- Third quartile
- Sample standard deviation
- Sample variance
- Coefficient of variation
Address each of the following questions in a written Word document.
- On average, are husbands or wives taller? What is the average difference in millimeters between the two genders? Explain your answer.
- How would you interpret the median heights?
- Compare the means and the medians for each dataset. What initial conclusions can be made here regarding the “contour” of each dataset?
- Compare the standard deviation values. Which dataset (husbands or wives) has the most dispersion? What does your conclusion suggest?
- Given the answers in question 1, compare the variability of heights between husbands and wives. Which partner type is more likely to have extremely tall individuals (outliers)?
- Interpret the % coefficient of variation.
Your manager has requested some additional information from you regarding the data. Specifically, you have been asked to calculate the differences between “Male Heights” and “Female Heights.” Your manager is only interested in married couples in which the husbands are taller than their wives. Repeat the analyses requested in Part 1 for this new dataset. What conclusions can be drawn here? Include discussion about whether outliers exist in this dataset.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a grading rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.