Next, decide which John Donne or Ben Jonson poem you want to do for your analysis (see pp. 1-2).
Once you have chosen which poem you want to analyze, do the following:
- Paraphrase the poem line by line (Exception: if you have chosen Donne’s The Flea, The Indifferent, or Elegy 19: To His Mistress Going to Bed, you may paraphrase every 2-3 lines).
- Using ART WARS, tell what the poem is about (A).
- Using the remaining elements of ART WARS, choose 3 of the 6 to comment on:
- Repeated themes/ideas
- Tell us why you chose this poem to analyze. How did it speak to you?
- Create a question to ask the class about your poem. “You” questions can work very well.
Don’t just say “I see alliteration here” or “These words rhyme”, but be sure to explain what effect these elements have on the poem overall.
I will send the poem to you, and an template.