Application: Dual Diagnosis
Many clients who are diagnosed with substance abuse and addiction disorders also exhibit a psychological disorder. The prevalence and complexity of this phenomenon, known as a dual diagnosis, make it imperative that you, as a counselor, know how to properly diagnose and work with substance abuse clients who also exhibit psychological disorders.
For this Application, you will examine the complexities of dual diagnosis in relation to a specific case.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources, focusing on the client symptoms and characteristics that may indicate a dual diagnosis.
- Consider how the symptoms of substance abuse and those of psychological disorders make dual diagnosis particularly complex.
- Review the following case study: Jerome .
- Consider how the case study reflects the complexities of dual diagnosis.
The assignment: (1–2 pages)
- Analyze the complexity of dual diagnosis as it relates to the case study.
- Explain how specific symptoms illustrated by the client indicate more than one disorder and make diagnosis difficult.
- Provide specific examples as well as evidence from the Learning Resources to support your ideas.
Support your Application assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course.