Ashford 2: – Week 1 (Feb 18 – Feb 24)
Week One Learning Outcomes
This week students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of compensation systems.
- Assess compensation strategies and their impact on an organization.
Assignment Due Date Format Grading Percent Post Your Introduction Day 1 Discussion 1 Discussion 1: Compensation Strategy Day 3
Discussion 3 Discussion 2: Compensation Practices Day 3
Discussion 3 Assignment: Journal Article Research and Analysis Day 7 Written Assignment 6
Note: The online classroom is designed to time students out after 90 minutes of inactivity. Because of this, we strongly suggest that you compose your work in a word processing program and copy and paste it into the discussion post when you are ready to submit it.
- Read the following chapters in your text, Strategic Compensation:
- Chapter 1: Strategic Compensation: A Component of Human Resource Systems
- Chapter 2: Contextual Influences on Compensation Practice
- Read the following journal articles for further insight into this week’s topics:
- Weinberger, T.E. (1995, April). Determining the relative importance of compensable factors. Compensation & Benefits Management, 11(2), 17. Retrieved from the Proquest database.
- Richards, D.A. (2006, May). High-involvement firms: Compensation strategies and underlying values. Compensation and Benefits Review, 38(3), 36-49,4-5. Retrieved from the Proquest database.
- You will find a list of websites that you may find useful under Course Materials in your online classroom.
Post Your Introduction
To post your introduction, go to this week’s Post Your Introduction link in the left navigation.
Please post a brief bio on the first day of class. Respond to at least three of your classmates’ bios. Use this forum to get acquainted and for ongoing non-content related discussions.
To participate in the following discussions, go to this week’s Discussion link in the left navigation.
- Compensation Strategy
Discuss the general goals of an organization’s compensation system, including how a compensation strategy works to support the organization’s business strategy. Respond to at least two of your fellow students’ postings.
- Compensation Practices
Discuss the various factors that influence a company’s competitive strategies and compensation practices. Assess how a company can mitigate these factors using effective compensation practices. Respond to at least two of your fellow students’ postings.
To complete the following assignment, go to this week’s Assignment link in the left navigation.
Journal Article Research and Analysis
Using a variety of research techniques, write a 3-5 page essay that summarizes the impact and affect of compensation within an organization. This essay should be based on research obtained through a minimum of three journal articles.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.