HIPAA. Most people in the U.S. today have heard of this acronym even if they don’t know what it means. Given that medical professionals are required to ask patients to review and sign HIPAA disclosures about the sharing of their privacy data, this week we’ll focus on electronic medical records (EMR). Your task is to research the EMR issue and identify the “good, the bad, and the ugly” of EMR practices.
- What’s the “up” side of using EMR?
- What’s the “down” side of using EMR?
- Is it easier to commit a crime with EMR?
- Is it easier to detect EMR crimes than it is paper-based crimes?
- Will EMR reduce costs or increase them?
- How do EMR systems impact HIPAA?
Be specific. Find and cite specific examples.